POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : What do you think? : Re: What do you think? Server Time
5 Sep 2024 19:28:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: What do you think?
From: Mike Raiford
Date: 13 Aug 2009 16:11:07
Message: <4a84735b@news.povray.org>
Jim Henderson wrote:

> Where he got his interest is irrelevant.  We all learn from our families
> and our friends.  So what?  The reason the kid is exercising his free
> speech is not important.  He should be allowed to do so, as long as he's
> not disruptive or inciting people to harm others.

True, but I still don't think it's appropriate to attempt to convert
other students to your form of religion, be it atheist, christian,
jewish or muslim. There should be a respect for what others believe. The
administrators of the school felt this overstepped a boundary, religion
is a very touchy issue, and can be considered particularly inflammatory.
I agree with the school's request not to hand out the item directly, but
leave it in a common area for those who are interested to pick it up.

>>> Right...
>> Right. And chances are the problem has nothing to do with religion.
>
> It has *everything* to do with religion.  My hypothesis that the kid's
> parents would be up in arms over an atheist distributing information
> about atheism was put forth because most people who take these kinds of
> actions seem to think "free speech" only applies to the things and ideals
> they hold, not to everyone.

Exactly!

Interestingly enough, the candy cane was NOT intended to be a religious
symbol:

http://www.snopes.com/holidays/christmas/candycane.asp

--
~Mike